Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunyvaig Castle, Lagavulin Bay, Islay. Copy of publication drawing of ground floor plan. Ink. Scale 1:200

SC 423751

Description Dunyvaig Castle, Lagavulin Bay, Islay. Copy of publication drawing of ground floor plan. Ink. Scale 1:200

Catalogue Number SC 423751

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 36998 P

Scope and Content Drawing showing plan of Dunyvaig Castle, Islay, Argyll and Bute The remains of Dunyvaig Castle stand on Islay's south coast, just south of Lagavulin. First mentioned in the late 14th century, the castle has been owned by the MacDonalds of Dunivaig, by royal garrisons and by the Campbell Earls of Argyll until 1677. This plan shows the layout of the castle. Within a seven-sided outer courtyard wall are five rectangular buildings. A three- or four-storeyed building stands on the rocky knoll to the south and to the north are the foundations of two angle-turrets. Most of the visible remains date from the 16th-17th centuries. The walls are of lime-mortared rubble, with the courtyard buildings being of drystone construction and now covered with turf. There is a boat-landing to the south of the main courtyard wall. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423751

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions