Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Chapel and Burial Ground, Orsay, Islay. Copy of survey drawing of ground floor plan. Ink, paper. Scale 1:100

SC 423566

Description Chapel and Burial Ground, Orsay, Islay. Copy of survey drawing of ground floor plan. Ink, paper. Scale 1:100

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 423566

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 36827 P

Scope and Content Drawing showing ground plan of chapel on Orsay Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The small islet of Orsay lies just south-west of the Rhinns peninsula of Islay, opposite the village of Portnahaven. The only buildings on the island are the lighthouse built in 1824-5, and the remains of a medieval chapel and burial-ground. Standing at the north of the island, the chapel is now incorporated within an oblong gable-ended building. The western portion is the original chapel, while the rest seems to have been added in the late 18th or early 19th century to create a storehouse. This drawing shows the doorway towards the west end of the south wall, and the single windows directly opposite each other in the north and south walls. The later addition to the east (right) end also had windows in the north and south walls. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423566

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions