Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Chapel, Orsay, Islay. Copy of survey drawing of fragments of cross-marked stone. Ink on paper.

SC 423564

Description Chapel, Orsay, Islay. Copy of survey drawing of fragments of cross-marked stone. Ink on paper.

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 423564

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 36838 P

Scope and Content Drawing showing detail of cross-incised stone from chapel and burial-ground on Orsay Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The small islet of Orsay lies just south-west of the Rhinns peninsula of Islay, opposite the village of Portnahaven. The only standing buildings on the island are the lighthouse built in 1824-5, and the remains of a medieval chapel and burial-ground. This drawing shows the remains of an Early Christian cross-incised stone which were found in the burial-ground in 1959. It bears a simple carved ring-headed cross with outline Greek crosses in the lower cantons or segments within the ring. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423564

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions