Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Orsay Island, Chapel. View of South wall, detail of doorway, external face.

SC 423558

Description Orsay Island, Chapel. View of South wall, detail of doorway, external face.

Catalogue Number SC 423558

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 11915

Scope and Content Detail of external face of doorway in south wall of chapel on Orsay Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The small islet of Orsay lies just south-west of the Rhinns peninsula of Islay, opposite the village of Portnahaven. The only buildings on the island are the lighthouse built in 1824-5, and the remains of a medieval chapel and burial-ground. Standing at the north of the island, the chapel is now incorporated within an oblong gable-ended building. The western portion is the original chapel, while the rest seems to have been added in the late 18th or early 19th century to create a storehouse. This shows the external face of the doorway at the west end of the south wall of the original chapel. It is a tall arch-pointed opening with no evidence of how the door was mounted and secured. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423558

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions