Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of sundial and gnomon, Ruvaal Lighthouse, Islay.

SC 423539

Description Detail of sundial and gnomon, Ruvaal Lighthouse, Islay.

Date 1982

Catalogue Number SC 423539

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12349

Scope and Content Detail of brass face and gnomon of sundial at Ruvaal Lighthouse, Islay, Argyll and Bute Ruvaal Lighthouse stands on the headland at the northern entrance to the Sound of Islay. Erected in 1857-9 for the Northern Lighthouse Board, it was designed by the engineers David and Thomas Stevenson. This sundial sits within the perimeter wall on the south-east (seaward) side of the track from the gate to the lighthouse. It is a fluted pedestal with a brass dial engraved with the name of the lighthouse and the makers, Adie and Son of Edinburgh. Scottish lighthouses were well-endowed with clocks and sundials to help ensure precise times of lighting and extinguishing lamps. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions