Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Chapel, Texa, Islay. View from South West.

SC 423537

Description Chapel, Texa, Islay. View from South West.

Catalogue Number SC 423537

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8484

Scope and Content Aerial view of chapel on Texa Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The tiny island of Texa lies off Islay's south-east coast, east of Port Ellen. There are traces of agricultural activity on the island, which was abandoned in the late 19th century. A number of ruinous buildings survive as remnants of this occupation. This late medieval chapel served the island's small community. Built of sandstone rubble, it is simple in plan. It has only one room, with the doorway at the west end of its south wall, and single windows opposite each other in the north and south walls. To the west (left) of the chapel lie the remains of the 19th-century enclosing walls of the burial-ground where a number of medieval crosses and grave-slab fragements were found in 1880-2. These are now held in the National Museums of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/423537

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions