Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Medieval Cross, Kilchoman Church. Detail of shaft, face A (1B 217).

SC 416818

Description Medieval Cross, Kilchoman Church. Detail of shaft, face A (1B 217).

Catalogue Number SC 416818

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12847

Scope and Content Detail of base of shaft of medieval cross in churchyard of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school of carving, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This detail of two opposing beasts with another small animal's head between their hind legs comes from the base of the front face of a free-standing cross. Foliage decoration stems from the tails of the two beasts. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/416818

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions