Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Medieval Cross, Kilchoman Church. Photographic reconstruction of cross.

SC 416817

Description Medieval Cross, Kilchoman Church. Photographic reconstruction of cross.

Catalogue Number SC 416817

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13090

Scope and Content Detail of medieval cross in churchyard of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school of carving, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This free-standing cross is missing its left arm, and is broken in two places across the shaft. On the front (left) is the Crucified Saviour. Both sides have foliage decoration stemming from the tails of two beasts at the base of the shaft. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/416817

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions