Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Highland Stone, Kilchoman Church. View of stone KG 22.

SC 416812

Description West Highland Stone, Kilchoman Church. View of stone KG 22.

Catalogue Number SC 416812

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12391

Scope and Content Detail of West Highland grave-slab in churchyard of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school of carving, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This tapered slab was perhaps intended to mark the grave of a child. In the upper half, is a cusped niche containing the figure of a man in battle clothes carrying a spear and sword. Below there is a carved animal, while the lower decoration is gone. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/416812

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions