Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Highland Stone, Kilchoman Church. View of stone KG 8.

SC 416811

Description West Highland Stone, Kilchoman Church. View of stone KG 8.

Catalogue Number SC 416811

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12392

Scope and Content Detail of fragment of West Highland grave-slab in churchyard of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school of carving, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This is the upper fragment of a slab from the 14th-15th century. It bears the hilt of a sword, surmounted by foliage and animals, with further foliage decoration to the left of the sword-hilt. The inscription on the right replaces the original decoration. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/416811

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions