Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilchoman Old Parish Church. View of two West Highland Grave Slabs (KG 11) (KG 17).

SC 416810

Description Kilchoman Old Parish Church. View of two West Highland Grave Slabs (KG 11) (KG 17).

Catalogue Number SC 416810

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 11791

Scope and Content Detail of West Highland grave-slabs in churchyard of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay, Argyll and Bute There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school of carving, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. The left slab here is dated 1681, with a sword and the hull of a boat, plus an inscription. The right slab is more intricately carved with a foliated cross above two opposed beasts linked by their tails to a pattern of plant scrolls. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/416810

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions