Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lagavulin Distillery. View of Bell from former Lagavulin Church.

SC 416669

Description Lagavulin Distillery. View of Bell from former Lagavulin Church.

Catalogue Number SC 416669

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 11918

Scope and Content Detail of bell from former Lagavulin Church (now in Lagavulin Distillery), Islay, Argyll and Bute Members of Lagavulin parish formerly attended services at Kildalton Chapel. However, as early as 1651, there were proposals for a new church to be built at Lagavulin. Not until the end of the 17th century did any action take place on these proposals. Lagavulin's meeting-house was replaced by a new church about 1730. This in turn was rebuilt in 1825, when a two-storeyed building with internal galleries was erected 200m to the west of Lagavulin Distillery. The church bell was originally fixed to a wooden tripod to the south-west of the entrance to the distillery, but is now kept within the distillery itself. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/416669

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions