Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fragment of cross, Kilchoman Old Parish Church. Detail of fragment of cross (obverse).

AG 6868

Description Fragment of cross, Kilchoman Old Parish Church. Detail of fragment of cross (obverse).

Date 1974

Catalogue Number AG 6868

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 416805

Scope and Content View of front of fragment of cross, Kilchoman Church, Islay There has been a parish church in Kilchoman since medieval times. Little is known of any earlier buildings on the site, though repairs are recorded in 1730 and 1789-91. The present church was built in 1825-7 after its predecessor was condemned as unsafe. In the churchyard are a number of carved stones and crosses, mainly from the Iona school, and dating from the 15th century. Many of these have suffered damage throughout the centuries, either from vandalism or weathering. This is the front of what remains of a free-standing cross, probably carved by the Iona school sometime during the 14th or 15th century. The carving illustrates the Crucified Saviour, flanked by St Mary and St John. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/413435

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions