Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of studio at Edinburgh College of Art.

SC 409330

Description View of studio at Edinburgh College of Art.

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 409330

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20536

Scope and Content Studio, Edinburgh College of Art, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh The Edinburgh College of Art was designed in 1906-9 by John More Dick Peddie on an impressive corner-site overlooking Edinburgh Castle. The interior of the college was photographed in 1909 by the architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. This large, airy studio was one of several on the north side of the building which were devoted to drawing and painting. The antique casts were part of the college's extensive collection which was begun by the Board of Manufactures in 1797. The planning of the Edinburgh College of Art owes much to the sculptor, James Pittendrigh MacGillivray (1856-1938), who prepared a report on the state of art education in Scotland and in Europe, and made a grandiose design for the building. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/409330

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions