Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Entrance front from South East

SC 400809

Description Entrance front from South East

Catalogue Number SC 400809

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 415

Scope and Content Redcastle, near Milton, Highland Redcastle was probably built for Rory Mackenzie in 1641, the date displayed in the east gable. It survived sacking by Covenanters in 1649, and was sold in 1790. It was remodelled in 1840 by William Burn for Colonel Hugh Baillie of Dochfour. This shows the castle before the demolition of the arched balcony, or loggia, added to the main block by Burn. The original stair-tower rises to the left of the loggia. The low tower in the angle between it and the smaller block is also by Burn. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/400809

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions