Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strathmiglo Parish Church, Kirkwynd. Door at South West corner, detail of 1647 inscription above lintel.

SC 397875

Description Strathmiglo Parish Church, Kirkwynd. Door at South West corner, detail of 1647 inscription above lintel.

Catalogue Number SC 397875

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 48429

Scope and Content Reused 1647 inscription on 1920s porch, Strathmiglo Parish Church, Strathmiglo, Fife Strathmiglo Parish Church was built in 1783-4 by George Kilgour to his own design. The interior was altered and refurbished in 1848-9. This 17th-century inscription was incorporated in the porch, built about 1925. It reads: JESUS CHRIST IS THE DOORE AND HE THAT ENTERES IN BE HIM SHALBE SAVED JOHN 10 9 1647. Strathmiglo was established in 1600, 91 years after the local laird, Sir William Scott of Balwearie, gained the right to create a burgh of barony. By the 1800s, the burgh was a thriving weaving centre. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/397875

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions