Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, MacLean's Cross. Detail showing West face of head.

SC 377648

Description Iona, MacLean's Cross. Detail showing West face of head.

Date 1981

Catalogue Number SC 377648

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 45938 T

Scope and Content Carved cross known as MacLean's Cross, on Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This is a view of the west side of the cross. The shaft and arms are decorated with interlace. The head itself depicts the crucifixion of Christ. MacLean's Cross stands on what is probably its original location - on the west side of the road from the abbey and the nunnery. The cross is the product of the Iona school of carving and it was probably commissioned by a member of the Clan MacLean. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377648

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions