Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, MacLean's Cross & Iona Parish Church. General view from East.

SC 377646

Description Iona, MacLean's Cross & Iona Parish Church. General view from East.

Date 1981

Catalogue Number SC 377646

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 45915 T

Scope and Content Parish Church and the carved cross known as MacLean's Cross, on Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This view shows MacLean's Cross with Iona Parish Church in the background. The church was built in 1828 as one of a series of 'Parliamentary kirks' built in the Highlands at that time. Its design closely follows the one published by Telford. MacLean's Cross stands on what is probably its original location - on the west side of the road from the abbey and the nunnery. The cross is the product of the Iona school of carving and it was probably commissioned by a member of the Clan MacLean. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377646

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions