Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of armourial panel, Castlehill Academy

SC 377520

Description Detail of armourial panel, Castlehill Academy

Catalogue Number SC 377520

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 80321

Scope and Content Burgh coat-of-arms on pediment of Cupar Academy, Castlehill, Cupar, Fife Cupar Academy was built in 1806 by John Davidson, mason, and Charles Stewart, wright, on or near the site of a medieval castle. The south range was added in 1844-6, and the north block in 1867. The burgh coat-of-arms from the old tolbooth is mounted on the triangle or pediment over the main entrance of the Academy's east block. Cupar's old tolbooth was demolished 'under cloud of night', probably illegally, after a council meeting held at short notice by the Provost who wanted the building removed to improve access to land that he was developing. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377520

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions