Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, MacLean's Cross. View of reverse face.

SC 377077

Description Iona, MacLean's Cross. View of reverse face.

Date 1965

Catalogue Number SC 377077

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 598

Scope and Content Carved cross known as MacLean's Cross, on Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This view shows the east face of the cross. Most of the decoration consists of plaitwork and plant-scrolls. At the top of the shaft is a pair of animals and there was an angel on the right arm. At the foot of the shaft is a mounted warrior. MacLean's Cross stands on what is probably its original location - on the west side of the road from the Abbey and the Nunnery. The cross is the product of the Iona school of carving and it was probably commissioned by a member of the Clan MacLean. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/377077

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions