Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, St Oran's Chapel. View of tomb showing detail of crucifix.

SC 373641

Description Iona, St Oran's Chapel. View of tomb showing detail of crucifix.

Catalogue Number SC 373641

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8258

Scope and Content St Oran's Chapel, Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This image shows a detail from the hood-mould of the 15th-century tomb-recess in St Oran's Chapel. It comes from the apex of the arch, and comprises a framed panel with a relief-carved figure of the Crucified Christ inside. The chapel stands at the north end of the burial-ground, Reilig Odhrain. Both are named after a cousin of Columba. In the later Middle Ages it became the burial-place of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles and the chaplainry. It was restored in 1957. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373641

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions