Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, general. View of graveslab.

SC 373636

Description Iona, general. View of graveslab.

Catalogue Number SC 373636

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 571

Scope and Content Grave-slab, from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This tapering slab was originally in Reilig Odhrain. It bears a carved border on three sides with a carved metal casket at the base. The main feature is a sword, with a Latin cross and a plaited knot above the guard. Below are plant-scrolls and knotwork. The slab is now in the Abbey Museum (No 106). Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373636

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions