Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, St Oran's Chapel. General view from North-West.

SC 373624

Description Iona, St Oran's Chapel. General view from North-West.

Catalogue Number SC 373624

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 6321

Scope and Content View from north-west showing St Oran's Chapel, Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba, who came over from Ireland around 563AD. The Irish church continued until the monastery became part of the Benedictine order around 1200. The Benedictine abbey of Iona stands 250m from the west shore of the Sound of Iona, and overlies part of St Columba's monastery. Remodelled several times, it was restored in the 20th century and is now a popular place of pilgrimage. Restored in 1957, St Oran's Chapel lies to the south-west of the abbey, within the island's main burial-ground, Reilig Odhráin. Dating from the 12th century, it was the medieval burial place of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles, patrons of the abbey. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/373624

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions