Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from East of pier, Bell Rock Tavern and in background St Andrews Cathedral.

SC 372147

Description View from East of pier, Bell Rock Tavern and in background St Andrews Cathedral.

Date c. 1900 to 1930

Collection Francis M Chrystal

Catalogue Number SC 372147

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 4517

Scope and Content View along north pier of St Andrews Harbour, St Andrews, Fife St Andrews Harbour was first mentioned as a fishing port in 1226, though it probably existed in ancient times. By the later 16th century it had quays and piers. These were modified and rebuilt over the centuries, often because of storm damage. The north pier was originally wooden but was probably rebuilt in stone in 1559. A winter storm 'totally beat down and demolished' it in 1659. It was then completely rebuilt using stone from St Andrews Castle. The north pier of St Andrews Harbour continued to suffer damage even after it was rebuilt in stone. It was partly broken down in 1678, needed repair in 1722, part of it fell down in 1788 and it was breached by a storm in 1823. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/372147

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 64) Francis M Chrystal

> Item Level (SC 372147) View from East of pier, Bell Rock Tavern and in background St Andrews Cathedral.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions