Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, general. Plan showing outline incised, ringed crosses.

SC 370872

Description Iona, general. Plan showing outline incised, ringed crosses.

Catalogue Number SC 370872

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 527/42

Scope and Content Ring-headed incised cross from Iona, Argyll and Bute Iona is one of the most important religious sites in Scotland. The earliest community was formed by St Columba who came over from Ireland around AD 563. This was replaced by the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery in around AD 1200. This sandstone slab bears the faint traces of a ringed-cross, with at least one barred terminal (the end of an arm). It has been trimmed for some secondary use, and now has a socket, probably for a metal post. The stone is in the Nunnery Museum. A number of early Christian cross-incised stones have been found on Iona. They were probably grave-markers, or possibly boundary-markers, with those decorated on both sides standing upright, and the rest being recumbent. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/370872

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions