Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing cloister of drawings of bases in cloister arcade.

SC 369120

Description Iona, Iona Abbey. Plan showing cloister of drawings of bases in cloister arcade.

Catalogue Number SC 369120

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 23/719

Scope and Content Cloister at Iona Abbey, Argyll and Bute The Benedictine abbey at Iona was built around AD 1200 on the site of St Columba's earlier monastery. It was altered and partly rebuilt in the 13th century and again in the 15th century. It became derelict after the Reformation of 1560. This drawing shows one of the surviving column bases from the cloister arcade. This quadruple base supported one corner of the arcade. It is comparable with various 13th-century mouldings from around the abbey. One corner of the piece is missing. The cloister was first built in the early 13th century. It was bounded by the nave and N transept to the S and E. The N and W sides were bounded by walls and later other buildings. It was remodeled in the 15th century and rebuilt in the mid 20th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369120

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions