Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from north-west; half-elevation; section through centre-bay

SC 367675

Description View from north-west; half-elevation; section through centre-bay

Catalogue Number SC 367675

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of IND 205/2 P

Scope and Content Part of a drawing showing view from south west of Aultnaslanach Railway Viaduct, Moy, Inverness-shire Aultnaslanach Railway Viaduct carries the Aviemore to Inverness railway line which was opened by the Highland Railway Company in 1897. It is the only surviving wooden main-line railway viaduct in Britain. The viaduct has survived because it is better suited to the surrounding boggy ground than heavier metal or masonry bridges. Each of the four central frames is made up of six upright posts simply driven into the ground. This shows the system of trestles underneath the viaduct. Six heavy pitch-pine trestles hold up six longitudinal girders which support the corrugated iron deck. Each trestle consists of six piles linked by runners, beam-stiffeners and transverse beams. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/367675

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions