Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Victoria Swing Bridge. View from East.

SC 361819

Description Victoria Swing Bridge. View from East.

Catalogue Number SC 361819

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 5398

Scope and Content The Victoria Swing Bridge, Victoria Dock, Leith Docks, Leith Leith Docks, first begun as enclosed docks running parallel to the shoreline in 1801, were filled in and replaced by the present range of docks - the Edinburgh, Imperial, Victoria and Albert - in 1851-81. The smallest, the Victoria Dock, opened in 1851. This hydraulically-operated swing-bridge, dating from c.1896, spans the Inner Harbour, linking the Victoria Dock to the Albert Dock. It replaced an earlier bridge by Alexander Rendel and George Robertson, architects of the present docks, of 1871-4. Victoria Dock, the first of the present docks to be built, was followed by the three other docks which were built after the reclamation of 84 acres of land, and the building of a 1,060m-long eastern breakwater in 1862-9. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/361819

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions