Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. Detail of structural support in train shed, showing corinthian capital to column.

SC 361754

Description Interior. Detail of structural support in train shed, showing corinthian capital to column.

Catalogue Number SC 361754

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 62025

Scope and Content Detail of structural support in train-shed at Queen Street Station, West George Street, Glasgow Glasgow's Queen Street Station was the western terminus of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway and was opened in 1842. northothing remains of the original station, and the main train-shed, now modernised, was erected 1878-80 by James Carswell. This is one of the cast iron columns of Carswell's train-shed. With Corinthian capitals, these columns were decorative and functional, supporting the wrought-iron arched roof, which is the only remaining large single-span overall station roof in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/361754

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions