Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Ground Floor Plan and Lower Ground Floor Plan Lorn Inv. 205
SC 360725
Description Ground Floor Plan and Lower Ground Floor Plan Lorn Inv. 205
Date 1969
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 360725
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of AGD 522/8
Scope and Content Parapet-level plan of tower-house of Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe, Glenorchy, Argyll Kilchurn Castle was founded before 1449 by Sir Colin Campbell on land given to him by his father in 1432. It was the base of the Campbells of Glenorchy until the 17th century when, as Earls of Breadalbane, they acquired grander castles elsewhere. The tower-house's parapet-level was remodelled after 1550. It consisted of a garret or attic chamber and wall-walks running between four corner-turrets. A now-blocked door on the north-west walk (top) probably led to wooden hourdings. During sieges, defenders dropped a variety of things on attackers including: stones; boiling water; perhaps boiling oil (expensive); wasp-nests and bee-hives; slops; and very occasionally, Greek Fire - the extremely costly medieval equivalent of napalm. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/360725
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]