Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ground Floor Plan and Lower Ground Floor Plan Lorn Inv. 205

SC 360721

Description Ground Floor Plan and Lower Ground Floor Plan Lorn Inv. 205

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number SC 360721

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AGD 522/8

Scope and Content First-floor and upper level plans of Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe, Glenorchy, Argyll Kilchurn Castle was founded before 1449 by Sir Colin Campbell on land given to him by his father in 1432. It was the base of the Campbells of Glenorchy until the 17th century when, as Earls of Breadalbane, they acquired grander castles elsewhere. The tower-house (bottom right) belongs to the mid-15th-century, but the north-west range (top) was built in the 1690s to accommodate about 200 of the laird's men. It is possibly the earliest surviving barrack-block in Britain. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/360721

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions