General view of South West tower from North East Pl. 73A
SC 359600
Description General view of South West tower from North East Pl. 73A
Date 1969
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 359600
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of AG 3786
Scope and Content South angle-tower from tower-house of Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe, Glenorchy, Argyll Kilchurn Castle was founded before 1449 by Sir Colin Campbell on land given to him by his father in 1432. It was the base of the Campbells of Glenorchy until the 17th century when, as Earls of Breadalbane, they acquired grander castles elsewhere. The south angle-tower was built in 1690-8 at the same time as the barrack-block. Each of the two storeys was entered from the south range and contains windows and figure-of-eight-shaped gun-ports. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359600
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]