Detail of lintel above entrance doorway of tower house Pl. 72F
SC 359597
Description Detail of lintel above entrance doorway of tower house Pl. 72F
Date 1969
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 359597
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of AG 3784
Scope and Content Lintel of ground-floor entrance of tower-house of Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe, Glenorchy, Argyll Kilchurn Castle was a government base in 1654 when it resisted a Royalist siege, in 1685 during the Earl of Argyll's revolt, and during both Jacobite risings. It was also garrisoned by the Earl of Breadalbane's private army after the 1689 Highland War. The original courtyard doorway of the tower-house was rebuilt in the late 17th century. The lintel bears the date 1693 and the coat of arms and initials of Earl John Breadalbane and Countess Mary Campbell, his second wife (from 1678). Stone tower-houses were popular, especially in lawless regions, from the 14th to the 17th century. They were cheap compared to a proper castle because they were secure against the everyday danger of armed raiders and thieves, but not against artillery. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359597
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]