Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of rows of columns on upper floors.

SC 358260

Description View of rows of columns on upper floors.

Catalogue Number SC 358260

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 531 CN

Scope and Content Detail of decoration on upper floors of The Egyptian Halls, Nos 84-100 Union Street, Glasgow The Egyptian Halls in Union Street were built in 1871-3 by Alexander Thomson, as a warehouse for James Robertson. This four-storeyed, cast-iron framed, masonry-clad building bears many of the features which were characteristic of Thomson's unusual style. The first and second floors both have coupled pilasters separating the windows. The first floor also has secondary pilasters with scrolled bracket capitals. The top floor has chunky columns with Egyptian detailing at their bases and capitals. Alexander 'Greek' Thomson (1817-75) spent his entire working life in Glasgow. He developed a distinctive style, based on Greek architecture (hence his adopted middle name), but incorporating aspects of Egyptian, Indian and Oriental styles. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/358260

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions