Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monument erected by John Nicolson to commemorate Sir FrancisTress Barry

SC 356549

Description Monument erected by John Nicolson to commemorate Sir FrancisTress Barry

Date 1971

Collection Raymond Lamb

Catalogue Number SC 356549

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of CA 1016

Scope and Content Mervyn Tower, Nybster, Caithness Sir Francis Tress Barry (1825-1907) excavated over 30 archaeological sites in Caithness between 1890 and 1906, revealing many prehistoric monuments which had not been recognised before. This monument was built at Nybster by John Nicolson to commemorate the work of Barry. Apart from being widely recognised for his archaeological knowledge of the area, Nicolson was also an artist and sculptor. The sculptures here were the work of Nicolson. Sir Francis Tress Barry was MP for Windsor, Berkshire between 1890 and 1906. He had enjoyed a distinguished diplomatic and business career, and began to take an active interest in archaeology after his purchase of Keiss Castle, Caithness in 1890. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/356549

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions