Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Excavation photograph. Original in PRINT ROOM.

SC 356548

Description Excavation photograph. Original in PRINT ROOM.

Catalogue Number SC 356548

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 7559

Scope and Content Mervyn Tower, Nybster, Caithness Sir Francis Tress Barry (1825-1907) excavated over 30 archaeological sites in Caithness between 1890 and 1906. This monument was built by John Nicolson at Nybster broch to commemorate the work of Barry. Nybster broch is positioned in a defensive position on the edge of the cliffs. In this photograph, flags are flying at Mervyn Tower and Nybster broch, possibly in celebration of the completion of the construction of Mervyn Tower. Sir Francis Tress Barry was MP for Windsor, Berkshire between 1890 and 1906. He had enjoyed a distinguished diplomatic and business career, and began to take an active interest in archaeology after his purchase of Keiss Castle, Caithness in 1890. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/356548

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions