Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. General view of Cathedral and churchyard.

SC 354881

Description Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. General view of Cathedral and churchyard.

Date c. 1920

Collection A Brown and Company

Catalogue Number SC 354881

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AB 3997

Scope and Content St Machar's Cathedral, Old Aberdeen St Machar's Cathedral dates from 14th century but probably originated in the 12th century. It was damaged during the Reformation and when Cromwell's troops used stone from the choir to fortify Castlehill in 1650. The steeple collapsed in 1688. This drawing shows the west front of the cathedral built in granite for Bishop Henry Lichton in 1422-40. The spires were added around a century later by Bishop Gavin Dunbar (1518-32). Old Aberdeen, originally 'Kirktoun of Aberdon', grew up around St Machar's Cathedral, built for the bishopric established in 1125-30. It was eventually absorbed by the royal burgh, 'New Aberdeen', centred on the harbour at the mouth of the Dee. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 79

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/354881

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 4) A Brown and Company

Group Level (551 4/1) Aberdeenshire

>> Item Level (SC 354881) Aberdeen, Chanonry, St Machar's Cathedral. General view of Cathedral and churchyard.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions