Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mote of Mark - plan and section

SC 346909

Description Mote of Mark - plan and section

Catalogue Number SC 346909

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 15335

Scope and Content Fort, Mote of Mark, Dumfries and Galloway Mote of Mark is on a hill overlooking the Urr estuary. It is named after Mark, King of Dumnonia. Legend says he was the third party in the tragic romance of Tristan and Isolda. The site was excavated in 1913 and 1973. The finds are in the RMS. The remains of the defensive wall are now little more than a stone bank. It was originally laced with timber and has two entrances in the S and NW sides. The central hollow was the main area of occupation. Though excavations did not prove any link between the site and the legend, they did place the fort in the same period. The site was occupied in the 5th and 6th centuries. The walls were vitrified during its destruction in the 7th century by the Angles. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/346909

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions