Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 62 Templeton Street, Templeton Carpet Factory. Detailed view of exterior from North-West.

SC 346558

Description Glasgow, 62 Templeton Street, Templeton Carpet Factory. Detailed view of exterior from North-West.

Date 13/10/1994

Catalogue Number SC 346558

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 42417 CS

Scope and Content Templeton Carpet Factory, Glasgow The former Templeton's Carpet Factory incorporates buildings from a variety of periods. The oldest part is made up of the remains of a cotton mill dating from c.1823. This was added to in the late 19th century and the early to mid-20th century. This is the 1888-92 part, designed by William Leiper in a Venetian Gothic style based on the Doges' Palace in Venice. It has a polychrome brickwork façade, consisting of red brick below and red and green glazed brick on yellow above. This works was founded in 1857 by James Templeton & Son to make carpets using the chenille axminster process which Templeton and Quiglay had patented in 1839. Initially this works occupied a former cotton-spinning mill built in about 1823, but it was subsequently greatly extended. It was converted to the Templeton Business Centre by Charles Robertson & Partners in 1980-5, when many additions were demolished to form a courtyard. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/346558

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions