Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Detail of front panel of Sarcophagus in the Cathedral Museum of St Andrews.

SC 341082

Description Detail of front panel of Sarcophagus in the Cathedral Museum of St Andrews.

Date 1991

Catalogue Number SC 341082

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 19447 CN

Scope and Content Sarcophagus in St Andrews Cathedral Museum, Fife This carved stone coffin or sarcophagus was found in 1833, buried near St Rule's tower. It may have contained relics of a saint or was perhaps a royal tomb. Dating to c.750 AD, it is one of the most accomplished pieces of Pictish sculpture to survive. This front panel depicts scenes from the Biblical life of David. The large figure is David rending the jaws of the lion. In the centre he is on horseback with his falcon defending his sheep. The carvings include exotic animals such as monkeys. The treatment of the figures shows Mediterranean influence. Comparisons have been made with decorative details in the Book of Kells, the Rothbury Cross in Northumberland and the Anglo-Saxon sculpture of Mercia. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/341082

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions