Plans: First Floor; Ground Floor Preparatory drawing for 'Tolbooths and Town-Houses', RCAHMS, 1996.
SC 337409
Description Plans: First Floor; Ground Floor Preparatory drawing for 'Tolbooths and Town-Houses', RCAHMS, 1996.
Date 1993
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 337409
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of DC 29507
Scope and Content Plans of Stirling Town-house, Stirling Stirling Town-house replaced a medieval tolbooth on the same site. Funding came from the Malt Tax. 'Hyeland oak trees' were used for the spire, and 'Fyne French glass' was ordered for the windows. The roof required repeated repairs. The 18th-century parts of the town-house may match the floor-plan, and even incorporate some of the masonry, of the earlier tolbooth. The cell walls were thickened in 1724 to prevent escapes. The strongroom still has original iron doors. (1) built 1703-5 by Sir William Bruce, (2) north front extended, 1785 by Gideon Gray, (3) court-house and jail, between 1806 and 1813 by Richard Crichton Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/337409
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]