Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

View from south. Photographic copy of an engraving.

SC 336980

Description View from south. Photographic copy of an engraving.

Catalogue Number SC 336980

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 48601

Scope and Content Edinburgh City Chambers (formerly 'Royal Exchange'), City of Edinburgh Built as the Royal Exchange, Edinburgh City Chambers began as a complex of shops, printers, flats, coffee-houses and offices. The council kept ownership of only the north block which became the City Chambers after the old tolbooth was demolished in 1810. John Adam beat the Gentlemen of Mary's Chapel in the competition to provide the plans. However, the Gentlemen, three wrights led by the architect John Fergus, won the contract to carry out the work itself. Fergus altered Adam's plan, and added an arcade closing off the courtyard. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336980

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions