Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Interior-view of Old Council Chamber on First Floor from west

SC 336271

Description Interior-view of Old Council Chamber on First Floor from west

Catalogue Number SC 336271

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 4185 CN

Scope and Content Old Council Room inside Edinburgh City Chambers (formerly 'Royal Exchange'), City of Edinburgh Built as the Royal Exchange, Edinburgh City Chambers began as a complex of shops, printers, flats, coffee-houses and offices. The council kept ownership of only the north block which became the City Chambers after the old tolbooth was demolished in 1810. The Old Council Room, originally the custom-house board-room, served as the council-room for Edinburgh City Council from 1811 to 1903. The central niche on the far wall contains a French or Italian neoclassical bronze figure from around 1700. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336271

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions