Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Collection Item

SC 336061

Catalogue Number SC 336061

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 79512 CS

Scope and Content Stone circle at Torhousekie, Dumfries and Galloway The stone circle at Torhousekie is built on a low platform in the Bladnoch valley, about 5 km from Wigtown. The style has more in common with the recumbent stone circles of NE Scotland or Ireland.. This is a view of the circle. It consists of nineteen granite boulders graded in height with the larger stones to the SE. In the centre is a row of three stones aligned SW-NE. It is backed by what may be a D-shaped ring cairn. In 1684 Symson reported that the three central stones were called King Galdus's tomb. A single standing stone and a group of three stones stand nearby, but are no longer thought to be part of the circle. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336061

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions