Detail of armorial panel, originally on Tolbooth, but relocated to Academy Building
SC 335693
Description Detail of armorial panel, originally on Tolbooth, but relocated to Academy Building
Catalogue Number SC 335693
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of A 80322
Scope and Content Royal arms from Cupar Tolbooth, Fife Cupar Tolbooth is first mentioned in 1441. It contained a weigh-house, jail, steel-yard and debtors' prison. In 1785 it was expanded by the 'County Gentlemen' to accommodate social functions. This is one of the two 17th-century heraldic plaques that are all that remains of the medieval building. The provost, John Ferguson, is alleged to have illegally demolished it one night in 1810 to improve access to his own property. After a public outcry, the provost part funded the construction of Cupar Burgh Chambers as a replacement. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/335693
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]