Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, Old Aberdeen, High Street, Town House. General view of South wall, armorial plaque above doorway.

SC 335536

Description Aberdeen, Old Aberdeen, High Street, Town House. General view of South wall, armorial plaque above doorway.

Catalogue Number SC 335536

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 10827

Scope and Content Burgh arms on Old Aberdeen Town-house, City of Aberdeen Old Aberdeen Town-house was built on the site of an earlier tolbooth. Much of the funding came from individual councillors who hired the council convenor as architect and contractor, perhaps because they trusted him to keep the costs down. The plaque with the burgh arms comes from the older tolbooth replaced by the Town-house. In 1789 the town council ordered the plaque's reuse in the new building with the old date chiselled out and a new one added. However it still bears the date 1721. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/335536

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions