Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from S of West Bow.

B 38533

Description General view from S of West Bow.

Date c. 1950

Collection George Hay

Catalogue Number B 38533

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 460281

Scope and Content West Bow, Edinburgh The West Bow lies within an arrow shot of the Castle, hence its name. It lies at one end of the Grassmarket, once one of the busiest of Edinburgh's markets. The West Bow once led up to the Old Town, but it was improved in 1829 when Victoria Street was built and many of the original buildings demolished. The buildings on the far side of the street are the only survivors from the 17th and 18th centuries. This area has gone up and down in fashion. It was once a bustling commercial spot, but fell into disrepair. Today it is once more a thriving area and a popular shopping place for tourists with many pubs and cafes. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Accession Number 1991/27

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/292032

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (George Hay Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions