Photographic copy of an engraving of Crail from the west. Copied from 'A History of Fife', Vol III.
C 45156 P
Description Photographic copy of an engraving of Crail from the west. Copied from 'A History of Fife', Vol III.
Date 1840
Catalogue Number C 45156 P
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copy of RAB 56/V3//OPP86
Copies SC 388591
Scope and Content Engraving showing Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. This engraving shows Crail with the spire of the tolbooth's original tower visible in the distance. Below this is the harbour with the masts of boats sheltered within. A number of fishing cottages can also be seen grouped above the cliffs. Fishing was Crail's main industry until the late 19th century. With the decline in the herring industry, the harbour is now used by only a few small boats for lobster fishing. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/267620
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]