Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of structure of timber roof of charcoal shed

SC 2598349

Description Detail of structure of timber roof of charcoal shed

Date 1960

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number SC 2598349

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 203

Scope and Content Roof-structure of charcoal shed at Bonawe Ironworks, Bonawe, Strathclyde Bonawe Ironworks on the shore of Loch Etive was founded in 1752-3 by Richard Ford and Company as an offshoot of their works at Furness in England. It exploited local wood for smelting iron ore brought via the loch from Lancashire and Cumberland. The charcoal sheds are built like barns. They are spacious and well ventilated, with open timber roofs of 'tie-beam' construction. In the 18th century, the timber supply attracted several iron companies to Scotland, including an Irish co-partnership at Glen Kinglass, and two English companies from Furness at Craleckan and at Bonawe - now the best-preserved site. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2598349

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions