Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Blackfriars Chapel from North with Madras College in the background.

F 2179

Description General view of Blackfriars Chapel from North with Madras College in the background.

Date c. 1890

Catalogue Number F 2179

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 372138

Scope and Content North end of north transept of Blackfriar's Chapel, South Street, St Andrews, Fife Blackfriar's Chapel was built around 1515 and is all that remains of a Dominican Convent. Only the north transept, one arm of the original cross-shaped plan, survives. This was built around 1525 when permission was granted to encroach on the street. The north transept is unusual because it ends in a semi-octagonal bay or apse. The design may have been influenced by the transepts of Ladykirk Parish Church in the Scottish Borders, built about ten years earlier. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/241003

People and Organisations

Events

MyCanmore Text Contributions